How to connect to the internet
using the New Connection Wizard
The New Connection Wizard creates a dial-up connection profile in Windows XP to connect to the internet.
To create an internet connection profile in other versions of Windows, see the following instructions:
How to Connect to the Internet
Search for local dial-up numbers in your area
Currently, there are no dial-up numbers that match your search criteria.
New Connection Wizard (Windows XP)
- Click the Start button then Control Panel.
- If you see Switch to Classic View on the left side of the Control Panel window, click on it.
If you see Switch to Category View, don't click on that--you're already in Classic View.
- Double-click the Internet Options icon.
- Internet Properties: General
Click the Connections tab.
- Internet Properties: Connections
Click the Setup... button near the top of the window.
- Location Information
This window may not appear if the area code information was previously configured.
If this window does appear, make sure the following information is set correctly:
- Country/region: (your country)
- Area code: (your area code)
- Carrier code: (blank)
- Number to access outside line: (blank, except for some offices)
- Tone dialing
- Network Connection Wizard: Welcome
The Welcome window may not be displayed in Windows XP Pro. If this window appears, click Next.
- Network Connection Wizard: Network Connection Type
Select Connect to the Internet
- Network Connection Wizard: Getting Ready
Select Set up my connection manually
- Network Connection Wizard: Internet Connection
Select Connect using a dial-up modem
- Network Connection Wizard: Connection Name
ISP Name: NetTally
- Network Connection Wizard: Phone Number to Dial
Type in your local dial-up number.
- Network Connection Wizard: Internet Account Information
User name: (determined when you signed up for service)
Password: (determined when you signed up for service)
Confirm Password: (same as the above password)
The following three checkboxes are selected by default and in most cases can/should be left that way:
- Use this account name and password when anyone connects to the Internet from this computer
- Make this the default Internet connection
- Turn on Internet Connection Firewall for this connection
NOTE: This option no longer appears if Service Pack 2 (SP2) or later for Windows XP has been installed. The Internet Connection Firewall has been enhanced and renamed to Windows Firewall and is now enabled by default on all connections.
- Network Connection Wizard: Completing the New Connection Wizard
Although it's not necessary, you can select the checkbox next to Add a shortcut to this connection to my desktop if you want. Normally, if you're not already connected to the internet, your computer will bring up the connection window, eliminating the need for the desktop shortcut.
- Connect NetTally (dial-up connection window)
This window may not appear at this time when using Windows XP Pro.
If you want to, you can connect to the internet immediately by clicking Dial. If you don't want to connect right now, click Cancel.
- From within the Control Panel (again), click on Internet Options
Click on the Connections tab.
Make sure that Dial whenever a network connection is not present is selected instead of Never dial a connection.
- Click on this link for instructions on how to configure your email:
Setting up Outlook Express for your email account
If you would rather use a different email program (e.g. Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, etc.), visit our Email Information page for various other options.
You're finished! If you open up Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, or virtually any other internet-related software, they'll automatically connect you to the internet if you're not already online.